Newborn Behavioural Observations (NBO) ONLINE Training - MARCH 2021
NBO Australia Workshop, Melbourne
NBO Australia Workshop, Melbourne
About this Event
This NBO Workshop will be a live online format presented across three part days:
Workshop Day One: Sunday 28 March 2021, 1:30-5:00pm AEDT
Workshop Day Two: Monday 29 March 2021, 12:30-5:30pm AEDT
Workshop Day Three: Tuesday 30 March 2021, 12:30-5:30pm AEDT
Optional Post: Monday 19 April 2021, 5:30-6:30pm AEDT
This online workshop will be run by two or three faculty with an emphasis on interactive exchange and hands-on practice. Presented Live Online via Zoom and NBO Learning Management System.
Presented by NBO Master Trainers:
A.Prof Campbell Paul, Royal Children’s Hospital & Royal Women’s Hospital, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Dr Susan Nicolson, Royal Women's Hospital, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Ticket Price: $495 AUD (including GST).
- NBO Kit and postage,
- Access to Pre-Workshop Module with PowerPoint, Videos and optional further reading,
- Three Partial Day Workshops (12+ contact hours) of Live Online Workshop,
- Printable handouts for each workshop day,
- Printable NBO Forms for use during and after the workshop,
- Post-Workshop Zoom (optional) on Monday 19 April 2021
- Post-Training Supervision, Record five interventions on the 'NBO Recording Form' (including one videoed intervention) for review by the faculty
Not included (but available via online stores):
- Recommended Book: "Understanding Newborn Behaviour and Early Relationships - the Newborn Behavioral Observations System Handbook" (soft cover) by J. Kevin Nugent, Susan O'Brien, Constance H. Keefer. ISBN:9781557668837
What is the NBO system?
The Newborn Behavioural Observations (NBO) system is a relationship building tool that fosters a postive parent-infant interactive relationship. A supportive, nurturing relationship that is sensitive and responsive to the infant’s needs is a sign of parents' successful adaptation to parenting and optimises their infant's neurological and psychological development.
The NBO consists of a set of 18 neurobehavioral observations, which describe the newborn's capacities and behavioral adaptation from birth to the third month of life. It is designed to be easy to use and is a helpful tool for obstetric, midwifery, mental health, paediatric and general practice professionals who work with parents during the perinatal period. In the NBO session, the clinician and parent observe and interpret together the infant's behavioral communication and identify the kind of support the infant needs from their parent for their successful growth and development. The NBO provides parents with individualized information about their infant's behavior, so that they can appreciate their baby's unique competencies and vulnerabilities and thereby respond to their baby, in a way that best meets her or his developmental needs.
The NBO can be flexibly administered with a view to promoting a positive bond between parent and child and between clinician and family. It is inherently interactive and family-centred, because parents are involved as partners in the NBO session throughout.
- A laptop or computer available for use during the Workshop (Tablets and Phones not suitable).
- Speakers and a microphone – built-in, USB plug-in, or wireless Bluetooth.
- A webcam or HD webcam - built-in, USB plug-in.
- A reliability internet connection – broadband wired or wireless (3G or 4G) you will require a download speed >20mbps and an upload speed >10mbps (https://www.speedtest.net/ )
- Download the Zoom app, if you don’t have it already, from Zoom.us.
- Check for Zoom app updates (currently Zoom has weekly updates).
- Organise your set up for the workshop days to maximise your internet reliability.
Cancellations and refunds
If you book a training but do not attend no refund will be given. A refund will only be available if cancellation is made at least one week prior to the first booked session. If for any reason the scheduled training is postponed or cancelled registrants will be contacted and a refund of registration fees will be arranged. For further information please visit our webpagehttps://www.thewomens.org.au/health-professionals/clinical-education-training/nbo-australia/
Email queries to Jacinda Soussan (Jacinda.email@example.com)